Friday, October 29, 2010

GOLF SWING - SWING LIKE TIGER WOODS




It still amazes me how many youtube video's on the golf swing claim to help the golfer 'swing like Tiger Woods' or 'build the perfect swing' These pages are getting hundreds of thousands of hits. From this evidence it must be fairy important to the viewers to try and improve their swing and make it look like a tour pro.

With the emergence of computer swing analysis software like GASP or V1 I think the focus of many golf professionals shifted slightly from making the player the best at scoring to the player with the swing that most matched a tour pro.
Most analysis systems allow a split screen mode where the player can be compared on screen to a tour player. I must admit to doing this on many occasions. My only rule to using the split screen was to try and use a tour pro of a similar height and build to my player having a lesson.

I ceased using the comparison mode of my GASP software a while ago, because I felt it had a detrimental effect on my players improvement. I had somehow fallen into the trap of showing the player that they had improved based around the similarities to tour professionals' swings.
What I really should have been doing was showing the player how their swing had changed from lesson to lesson, and highlighting how those changes had effected the ball flight.
I still use the tour player files on the GASP analysis system but only to highlight the different swing models and techniques there are at the highest levels of golf.

So please do not get sucked into the idea that you need to swing like TigerWoods or any other tour pro's. Watch the different styles and methods used.

Once you have got it into your mind that the secret to good golf is not just a good looking swing, you will be well on your way to improving.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment