Tuesday, October 5, 2010

PREPARE LIKE A PROFESSIONAL

Being a club golfer does not mean you cannot be professional in your preperation for the round or the shot you are about to play. I personally do not believe it takes a lot to be professional in your approach to golf.

First of all, are you giving your self the best chance of having a good score?

Ask yourself these questions before playing.

Have I taken on board enough fuel to energise my body for my game of golf?
Have I drunk a sufficient amount of water to remain hydrated?
Have I stretched and mobilised the areas of my body most likely to be involved in a athletic sporting motion?

Have I got the necessary clothing to keep me cool, warm or dry?
Have I got the correct clubs for the course?
Have I got a mental plan of how the course is best played?

Now some golfers may not be in a financial position to have spare clubs that they can swap in depending on the course, but everything else I have listed comes in at a very low cost. Everything I have listed is pre game preparation.

What I would like to talk about is preparation for the shot at hand,and specifically yardages.

If you were lucky enough to watch this weekends Ryder cup from The Celtic Manor resort you would have noticed the time spent between caddie and player discussing yardages or distances.

How far to the bunker? How far to the end of the fairway? How far to the front of the green? How far to the pin? How is the lie going to effect the shot? How will the weather effect the shot? Is it up or down hill?
Most of this information comes from the Yardage books. These yardage books are a vital piece of equipment to the caddie and player.
How many of you club golfers have a yardage book of your own course? Not many I would think. Why not?

In my experience the club golfer plays the yardages on an estimation basis. 'Last time I was here I hit such a club'. 'I normally play such a club from here'. 'I'm about 20 yards from the 150 markers'. And the list goes on
For me this is not good enough preparation and it is not professional.

Most of the players in Ryder cup played the 2010 course maybe 4 times in the run up to the event, Plus the 5 rounds during the match. For every shot , the yardage book came out, they gathered information,they chose the club required for the shot,then and only then did they play the shot.

I believe every club golfer should own a yardage book for their course no matter how well they think they know the course. Play to yardages not to feelings and past events.

There are many more tools available now to the club golfer to help with yardages and distances and course management.Check out these websites for the latest information on rangefinders and GPS systems for golf.

www.bushnellgolf.com
www.skygolf.com

If you do not own a yardage book for your course, purchase 1 today. If the club yardage book is not up to the job write your own distances on it, or make your own book.

Without all the information do not play the shot and be professional in your preparation.

Any comments please post up below

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment