Thursday, March 24, 2011

Being a golfing athlete


I think its been discussed many times on many blogs that there are now more great athletes in the game of golf than there ever has been. Many of today's elite level players spend as much time in the gym as they do on the practice tee.

For me as TPI Level 3 golf professional I find the Body/Swing connection a vital part of my knowledge and understanding. What is also vital is to get to understand where my player has come from.

What sports did they play while growing up?
Did they have variety in sport?
Did they play at a good level in those sports?

I think if you took a poll of all the players out there on the European or PGA tour the majority would tell you that they played multiple sports as juniors, played some at a decent level of competition, and most of the sports had great transfer of learning potential.

I was lead to a great article through a twitter post by Andy Griffiths

The article is here "The new breed of golfer"

So if you have children who wish to play golf gets them to participate in multi sports as children. As many as 5 different sports per week.

I hope you enjoyed the article

Andy Gordon



No comments:

Post a Comment